To Our Patients
Information about a New New Hampshire Law:
Direct Access to a Physical Therapist
You Now Have Greater Choice with Your Health Care
Direct Access to Physical Therapy is Here! WV Physical Therapy are Individual Physical Therapists that are able to perform rehabilitation therapy directly to patients without a doctor’s referral.
On January 1, 2014, a new New Hampshire law was enacted which allows New Hampshire consumers direct access to physical therapists (individual physical therapist). Direct Access is your ability to be evaluated and treated by a licensed Physical Therapist without first seeing your physician for a referral.
There are a number of benefits that come from Direct Access.
- This will give you much quicker access the treatment you deserve.
- While each patient case is different, clinical research shows that Direct Access should save you money.
- Physical therapy visits last 30-60 minutes so your condition is thoroughly evaluated.
- Seeing a physical therapist first, in many cases, will result in fewer overall treatment sessions.
- Some form of direct access to physical therapy is legal in every state in the United States, The District of Columbia and the US Virgin Islands.
There are some limits with Direct Access to Physical Therapy with this new legislation.
Patients must be referred to a licensed health care provider for a diagnosis if the Physical Therapy care will exceed 45 days or 12 visits, whichever comes first.
We value the relationship we have with our patients, and their physicians. We will continue to foster this relationship by notifying a patient’s physician of our evaluation findings and providing updates on the care plan as needed.
We continue to strive to provide you and your family the best healthcare possible.
Please call if you have questions, need care or know someone we can help.